• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RTPbolt
    Charger Fan till the end
    • Jun 2013
    • North Carolina
    • Send PM

We dont know the facts so its hard to judge fairly with him. If i work my butt off and my employer said you know Im only willing to give you half of last years pay for the same work id probably be pissed off too...wouldnt you?

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Except that he didn't do the same work. His work was not as good as it was before (see Miami OL performance last season). He is their best OL, and he is a fairly consistent player when healthy. PAlm Beach Post seems to think he only missed 8 games in the last 3 years (out of a possible of 48), but if you check the stats on NFL.com and ESPN, he started all 5 games he played in 2016, meaning he missed 11 right there (2 games in 2015, 4 in 2014 and 2 in 2013). Given the abuse C take, if you exclude 2015, his attendance grade is not that bad (centers tend to last a lot shorter time than other OL positions).

AS to what actually happened, you're right we won't know. The attached Palm Beach Post says that he initially said he was asked to take a pay cut, but then changed his story that he wanted a raise and was declined. When he signed the deal he is on, he was the highest paid C in football (2015, http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpo...ncey-imminent/), and now Miami is in serious slash and burn mode.

Given his injury history and the 3 hip surgeries, there is no way he is getting a huge money deal. He is the best FA OL still out there, so this represents a unique opportunity. But, when you look back through the history of FA, you see not all signings, no matter how good the player is, end up being good ones. Guys like Bruce Smith ended up being lackluster if not somewhat cancerous to their locker rooms.
      Mike Pouncey has asked for his release from the Miami Dolphins.

Comment

• chargerkdb
        Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
        • Send PM

Interior OL are getting crazy money. Jensen signed with TB for 4 years $42M. Build line throug( the draft...haha

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

That is why you have to look for guys with warts. Teams won't pay big money for warts. You just have to decide if those are superficial things or things that actually matter.

I don't disagree with trying to build with the draft, but you do want to try and add a player that play short term, so we aren't forced to reach for a C in the 1st or 2nd round. There are only a couple of guys each year who are good enough to step in and start from day 1. And we still need help at DT and some other spots.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              They may not. 12 seems like a very high number. Plenty of guys drafted in the 1st round and labeled as day 1 starters are complete busts and never win a starting job, so it is a little risky to put that much faith in rookies. (If the ranking you are referencing are the overall draft grades, it usually means their overall potential - not a rookie year ranking, so even a pro bowl grade might not indicate a day 1 starter).

2nd, and probably more important, even if the OG is there, what if someone from our 1st round cluster is still around in the 2nd? Unless they are an interior OL, if we have forced ourselves to pass on them and have to take an interior OL because we need the starter.

I am pretty sure, based on past history, TT would rather grab a potential starter in a FA, and then not be forced into reaching for needs in the draft. IT may not be a very good starter as a FA, but someone who is at least OK.

The problem with Pouncey is that while he is the 2nd best C in FA, he is potentially a locker room cancer (see hazing thing with Incognito).
              That may be but it seemed Incognito was the biggest culprit and he hasnt had any issues since then.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
                  He may turn out great. But if I had a vote, I'd vote no.

no more signing or drafting injury risks on the OLine.
                  He played in every game last season.
                  he is hanging around til tomorrow for a physical so maybe this means they have a deal worked out?

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

Where did u see he was hanging till monday for the physical? If so that sounds like maybe an offer was made pending passing...number i the right ballpark.

Id think this would be a pretty ideal situation for Pouncey...great qb, a much improved line in need of a starting center, competitive team in their division (afc with Pats is a gimme loss) and if price is reasonable for a few year deal its a good place to start fresh.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Boltjolt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Saw a couple of tweets on it earlier this afternoon.
                  • richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He played in every game last season.
                    he is hanging around til tomorrow for a physical so maybe this means they have a deal worked out?
                    I'd guess if he is staying for a physical than there a deal ready if he passes. I'm not sure what to think of him. No idea if he will hold up and we have had way too many injuries on the line. Also, the whole bullying thing has me leery. But if he can stay on the field, he would instantly solidify our interior line and let us concentrate on the D in the draft.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                        Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                        • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Bolt-O commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'd hate to blame the "victim" but certain buttons were pushed, probably more by Incognito than others in the locker room. I don't think there will be an issue in the locker room with Pouncey, and for the most part, his connection with Aaron Hernandez was just because he was a teammate at Florida. Again, for the right price, and hoping for a return to form...
                      Working...
                      X